Learning how to tie a tie is not only useful, but makes you look well-informed too, especially in the future. I will be teaching you how to tie my version of the Windsor tie and the Pratt tie. I will also teach you about the different kinds of shirt and what kinds of physique the shirts are suited,what kinds of shirts go with what kinds of ties, and the messages they convey according to occasion.
1. A tie
2. your hands(clean, of course)
3. a collared shirt(virtually any shirt that you want to put a tie on)
Process for a Windsor tie:
1. You need to wear your collared shirt and then flip the collar up-What you want to do is take the wider side of the tie and place it on the right side of your neck. After that, you make the wider side longer than the left side, about 12 inches longer than the tip of the narrower side. Make sure that the tie is not inside out; this means that the side you want people to see is the side you can see (that that side you want people to see is facing the people).
2. Next, you place the wider and longer side over the shorter and narrower side. (Basically, you are over-lapping it)
3. Now, you want to take the wider side and put it on the right underneath the narrow side. (You have to place the wider side on the narrower side's original position/side)
4. After that, you want to take the wider side and put it through the triangular hole that is created for crossing the wider side with the narrower side.
5. Once you have the wider side over the knot you made, put the wider side on the left and place it under the knot.
6. Once it is under, pull it over the knot-Basically, warp the wider side around the knot
7. When you finish that, put the wider side, which should be on the left side now, through the triangular hole again.
8. Now there should be a flap made by the wide side being warpped around the knot.
9. You want to place the wide side now through that flap.
10. Now,all you need to do is to adjust the wider side nicely with the flap.
You can make a Pratt tie instead, which is a bit faster, but less formal (It is also known as the Shelby Knot)
1. The first thing you do is to flip the tie inside out instead of facing the side you want people to see, and follow the first step.
2. Next, you want to place the narrower side over the wider side.
3. After that, you want to place the wider side through the triangular hole and then pull it down through.
4. Once you have finished, simply warp the wider side towards the direction of the narrower side's original side and then loop it around the knot.
5. Afterwards, you poke it through the triangular hole.
Tips on shirts:
A spread collar is usually recommended with a Windsor tie, since it conveys confidence and class as a whole. This kind of collar is made with the tips of the collar facing away from each other, usually forming a triangular shape. It fits the best for people with shorter necks or a slimmer face, as it a wider collar. A Windsor tie is mostly used with formal occasions, such as job interviews, courtroom appearances, and presentations. A Pratt is less formal and can be used in various occasions. A Pratt tie may fit well with a straight point collar. This collar is more wide and short than the spread collar, making the tips farther away from each other. It has a slimming effect on people's faces. Another version of the straight point collar is the tabbed collar, where there is a tab, or fastening tab from the one side of the collar to the other, but it has become obsolete. It is usually for people who want to keep the tie stable. A pinned collar is more common than the tabbed collar. It looks better on people with longer necks. This collar is basically one that has a pin with an eyelet on the back of one collar and a ball on the other so that tie can be held in place.Other shirts include the buttoned down shirt, which is basically the straight point collar shirt with buttons on the ends of the tips that can be buttoned down to hold the tie in place. It is more suitable for businessmen.